Dogs are curious animals. Being born with highly sensitive scent glands, dogs are bound to explore the world. This special ability helps them to survive and look for food as their eyesight are not as developed as ours. Unlike humans that highly depend on sight for everyday living, dogs are equipped with superb nostrils that aid them to hunt and look for all their needs – food being the priority. As much as dogs are smart when it comes to their food picking abilities, there are certain food materials that we, owners must think twice first before giving to them.
Chocolate, grapes, raisins and onions are all no-no’s to dogs. These are toxic to the liver, kidney and red blood cells of dogs. They can cause a sudden effect and allergic reactions which can be fatal when not addressed. Xylitol, a sweetener found in candies can cause low blood sugar or liver problems. Common chemical such as insecticides and rodenticides are dangerous to our canine friends. Initial signs will include diarrhea with blood, vomiting or nose bleeding. These chemicals target the liver and can cause organ failure and death when not addressed by a veterinarian.
Furthermore, there are human drugs that should not be given to dogs – the most common are ibuprofen and naproxen. Long term use can cause gastric ulceration and kidney failure. Antidepressant drugs such as Prozac, Paxil, Celexa and Effexor can cause sedation, trance-life effect and seizures in dogs, especially in higher dosage. The same goes for amphetamine based drugs used to control ADHD in humans. Cough and colds drugs such as Tylenon can cause dryness of the eyes and liver problem.
Cleaning agents such as detergents, polish and sprays also contain synthetic compounds that a dog’s body may not be able to tolerate. Ingestion of these poisons requires immediate intravenous flushing and liver tonics. Be careful when handling these substances and food agents at home as your dog doesn’t know that these are potential harm to his system. Place all these toxic elements in a cabinet where there your dog will not have access. Better be safe than sorry; and prevention is always better than cure.